James Dashner's The Scorch Trials

The Scorch Trials (Maze Runner Series #2) - James Dashner

Solving the Maze was supposed to be the end. No more puzzles. No more variables. And no more running. Thomas was sure that escape meant he and the Gladers would get their lives back. But no one really knew what sort of life they were going back to.

In the Maze, life was easy. They had food, and shelter, and safety... until Teresa triggered the end. In the world outside the Maze, however, the end was triggered long ago.

Burned by sun flares and baked by a new, brutal climate, the earth is a wasteland. Government has disintegrated—and with it, order—and now Cranks, people covered in festering wounds and driven to murderous insanity by the infectious disease known as the Flare, roam the crumbling cities hunting for their next victim... and meal.

The Gladers are far from finished with running. Instead of freedom, they find themselves faced with another trial. They must cross the Scorch, the most burned-out section of the world, and arrive at a safe haven in two weeks. And WICKED has made sure to adjust the variables and stack the odds against them.

Thomas can only wonder—does he hold the secret of freedom somewhere in his mind? Or will he forever be at the mercy of WICKED? [ synopsis from goodreads ]

So a terrible, awful thing happened and I finished this book a couple weeks into the semester. And it was what proved to be the absolute busiest semester I have ever had since I've been in college (thank goodness it was my last). So the terrible part is I only vaguely remember anything that happened in this book (thank goodness for book club notes) AND I STILL HAVEN'T READ THE LAST ONE. (If you'll allow me to whine for a moment longer, I can tell you that I was dISTRAUGHT ALL SEMESTER. I am really, really ready to finish this series. And school just got in the way. Rude.)

Anyway, going to pull from my book club notes and see what I thought about this book (haha). So here's what I said on my book club blog (and there might vaguely be some spoilers?? Though at this point I don't even know what I was talking about so maybe not?? Just warning you in case??):

WHAT KIND OF ENDING WAS THAT?!?!?! IT JUST STOPPED. ARGHHH.

I have been in such a state all day, oh my goodness. So I really can’t wait to read the next one??? Because wow. WHAT IS HAPPENING?!?!

So, first off, I loved the last section. It was probably my favorite of the whole book. It was so completely and totally action packed. I literally couldn’t stop reading. I finally had to put the book down when it was closing in on 4am and my eyes were refusing to stay open any longer. And then I anxiously awaited the first free moment I could use to finish. And finally I found it.

I don’t even know where to start. TERESA PERHAPS?!?!?! Like what even????? I was so unbelievably upset. I’m still upset. If she’s telling the truth, I get why she did it and it was for good reason. But still????? How can we trust her now???

And Brenda at the end!!! What even??? I am so unbelievably ready to read the next one!!! It seems like we’re fINALLY getting close to some real answers and the thing at the end about removing the Swipe is what REALLY intrigued me. I am so here for that.

So anyway, overall I loved this book quite a lot! I’m not really sure how I feel about it in comparison to the first one though. I almost want to say I love it more but, at the same time, I liked the setting of the first one and the development of that one quite a lot. So it’s really a close call??? But I do think I liked the first one just an ounce more. But overall I’m LOVING this series and I can’t wait to finish it out!!

/fin book club notes

Wow! Past me was really in a state with that! And present me is very upset that it's been three months and I haven't had time to read the last one. GOING TO GET RIGHT ON THAT.

So I guess my advice would be to read on if you enjoyed the first one?? Even if you didn't this one was quite a bit different. I mean, it's a different adventure and a different setting and I think that's definitely points for it, even if you didn't enjoy the first one.

But I am most definitely enjoying this series and I can't wait to see how it all turns out!

review originally posted on goodreads