Maggie Stiefvater's The Raven Boys

The Raven Boys - Maggie Stiefvater

“There are only two reasons a non-seer would see a spirit on St. Mark’s Eve,” Neeve said. “Either you’re his true love . . . or you killed him.”

It is freezing in the churchyard, even before the dead arrive.

Every year, Blue Sargent stands next to her clairvoyant mother as the soon-to-be dead walk past. Blue herself never sees them—not until this year, when a boy emerges from the dark and speaks directly to her.

His name is Gansey, and Blue soon discovers that he is a rich student at Aglionby, the local private school. Blue has a policy of staying away from Aglionby boys. Known as Raven Boys, they can only mean trouble.

But Blue is drawn to Gansey, in a way she can’t entirely explain. He has it all—family money, good looks, devoted friends—but he’s looking for much more than that. He is on a quest that has encompassed three other Raven Boys: Adam, the scholarship student who resents all the privilege around him; Ronan, the fierce soul who ranges from anger to despair; and Noah, the taciturn watcher of the four, who notices many things but says very little.

For as long as she can remember, Blue has been warned that she will cause her true love to die. She never thought this would be a problem. But now, as her life becomes caught up in the strange and sinister world of the Raven Boys, she’s not so sure anymore.

From Maggie Stiefvater, the bestselling and acclaimed author of the Shiver trilogy and The Scorpio Races, comes a spellbinding new series where the inevitability of death and the nature of love lead us to a place we’ve never been before.
[ synopsis from goodreads ]

Oh wow. I absolutely 100% fell down the rabbit hole. So I see edits of this book on tumblr all the time. And I was really curious about it because they usually have quotes and just look really, really good. So I finally broke down and decided to check this series out. (My library oddly only has the second and third so they had to get this one from another library?? Which might be why I didn't read it sooner?)

And I am in love. With this whole book. And everyone in it.

This story is so fun and interesting and it has amazing characters. I'm so, so sad I didn't discover it sooner!! I could've obsessed about it long before now. But, well, better late than never. At least I made it to the party.

I just loved EVERYTHING about this story. And the set up for the next ones. I really can't wait to see where this is going. I mean, I flew through this one. And I can't wait for more. Because there are so many questions I still have and so many things I can't wait to get to. This one did an absolutely AMAZING job of setting up the rest of the series.

Yeah, so I should probably stop now because this is turning into less of an actual review and more of let me tell how much I love the thing without telling you why I love the thing.

So, yes. This is just an all around great novel. It has a lot of really interesting mystical things that I really enjoyed. (Everything to do with Blue's family and their, erm, is business the right word?? Well, everything to do with that I LOVED.) I really loved Gansey's descriptions of ley lines and things of that nature. I just loved everything.

And I think it goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway, that I HIGHLY recommend this book. And would love to flail about it with other people. (I've already started with Jenn who kind of recommended this one to me.) Because wow. So many things I need to talk about. And so many things I probably haven't even fully comprehended. Because wow. This book is packed with a lot of stuff. And I think that's one of the things that makes it amazing. I know I'll definitely be rereading in the future!

review originally posted on goodreads