Rainbow Rowell's Fangirl

Fangirl: A Novel - Rainbow Rowell

In Rainbow Rowell's Fangirl, Cath is a Simon Snow fan. Okay, the whole world is a Simon Snow fan, but for Cath, being a fan is her life-and she's really good at it. She and her twin sister, Wren, ensconced themselves in the Simon Snow series when they were just kids; it's what got them through their mother leaving.

Reading. Rereading. Hanging out in Simon Snow forums, writing Simon Snow fan fiction, dressing up like the characters for every movie premiere.

Cath's sister has mostly grown away from fandom, but Cath can't let go. She doesn't want to.
Now that they're going to college, Wren has told Cath she doesn't want to be roommates. Cath is on her own, completely outside of her comfort zone. She's got a surly roommate with a charming, always-around boyfriend, a fiction-writing professor who thinks fan fiction is the end of the civilized world, a handsome classmate who only wants to talk about words . . . And she can't stop worrying about her dad, who's loving and fragile and has never really been alone.

For Cath, the question is: Can she do this? Can she make it without Wren holding her hand? Is she ready to start living her own life? And does she even want to move on if it means leaving Simon Snow behind?
[ synopsis from goodreads ]

I seriously think this might be my new favorite book. I mean, all the signs are there. I read it in a day. I couldn't put it down. I tried and many times had to pull myself away for a moment and each time I stared at it longingly. I went out and bought it the next day. And then proceeded to tell Lindsey about all of my favorite parts and then read them to her. (She eventually asked if I wanted to read her the whole book and I was like IF YOU WANT ME TO I WILL????)

So I have completely and totally fallen down the rabbit hole. I am so in love with this book and I never, ever want to go back.

I think what I love most is how accurate this book is. It could've been written about me. Or my friends. I saw bits and pieces of all of us in here. It's literally my life captured in a novel. And I think that's what excited me the most. (Except I, sadly, do not have a Levi. Which is just unfair, to be honest.)

It really portrays fandom well. I know, because I've lived it. I write fanfiction and I post it (but I'm not anywhere near as famous as Cath) I know what it feels like to be dedicated to your readers and feel the pressure to finish things for them. All of those things are so accurately portrayed in this book.

And I think fandom feels like a thing that lives solely on the internet. And you feel like it starts and stops there. Like the internet is somehow some entirely separate being and you don't think about other people living the same life as you. Like the people on the internet are little beings who are contained solely within the internet and not actual people somewhere on the other side of the world who have lives that might be very similar to yours. (Until you become friends with some of them.) And because of that feeling, reading about someone whose life is so similar to yours (even if it is fictional) is almost refreshing. Because it means you're not alone.

So that might be why I love this book so much. Or it might also be the characters. Because I completely and totally love the characters in this book. They are all so, so wonderful. Levi, especially, was my favorite. I seriously loved him from page one.

All of that being said, this is a novel I completely and totally adore and cannot wait to reread. (I've already started, haha. And I've definitely been flipping through and rereading my favorite bits. I can't let this novel go. Or put it down. So trying to read other things has been, um, fun, haha.) I completely and totally recommend it! Especially if you're a fandom member too or if you read or write fanfiction. Or even if you're just curious about, as they say, how the other half lives.

This book is phenomenal and I can't wait to read more by Rowell in the future!

review originally posted on goodreads