Victoria Aveyard's Red Queen

Red Queen - Victoria Aveyard

This is a world divided by blood – red or silver.

The Reds are commoners, ruled by a Silver elite in possession of god-like superpowers. And to Mare Barrow, a seventeen-year-old Red girl from the poverty-stricken Stilts, it seems like nothing will ever change.

That is, until she finds herself working in the Silver Palace. Here, surrounded by the people she hates the most, Mare discovers that, despite her red blood, she possesses a deadly power of her own. One that threatens to destroy the balance of power.

Fearful of Mare’s potential, the Silvers hide her in plain view, declaring her a long-lost Silver princess, now engaged to a Silver prince. Despite knowing that one misstep would mean her death, Mare works silently to help the Red Guard, a militant resistance group, and bring down the Silver regime.

But this is a world of betrayal and lies, and Mare has entered a dangerous dance – Reds against Silvers, prince against prince, and Mare against her own heart ... [ synopsis from goodreads ]

Oh wow oh wow oh wow. I loved this book so much! And I'm already dying waiting to read the next one. (I only just finished this one like an hour ago and I'm ALREADY dying. So wow. The power this series already has over me.)

So, let's see. This book has a similar feel to The Hunger Games (not so much in story but kind of in writing??? Like it's written in the same kind of ~style almost?) which I LOVED. It has so much grit and gore but it's all written with a kind of grim determination and focus. Almost like you're calmly reading about all of this destruction as though it's nothing. Okay I'm flailing majorly at explaining this but it's really cool and it's a great style and I love it.

And the characters!!! I really love the classes and how we are thrown so fully into this world. And all of the men. Whew. *fans self with the book* Cal and Maven and Lucas and Kilorn and Shade. I was texting Jenn last night absolutely RAVING about all of the men in this book. They are all amazing and I can't wait for more of them.

Of course, besides the characters, the story itself was also amazing. I was so completely and totally invested in everything. I LOVED Queenstrial and definitely would've loved more of that. And that battle at the end. That was AMAZING.

So I very thoroughly loved this book. And I absolutely cannot wait for the next one! This was the beginning of what looks to be a really amazing series and I can't wait for more! And I've already started recommending this to, like, everyone. So that's also a thing, haha.

If you're looking for a great new series, definitely check this one out! I highly recommend!!!

review originally posted on goodreads