SPOILER ALERT!

Victoria Aveyard's Glass Sword

Glass Sword (Red Queen) - Victoria Aveyard

Mare Barrow’s blood is red—the color of common folk—but her Silver ability, the power to control lightning, has turned her into a weapon that the royal court tries to control.

The crown calls her an impossibility, a fake, but as she makes her escape from Maven, the prince—the friend—who betrayed her, Mare uncovers something startling: she is not the only one of her kind.

Pursued by Maven, now a vindictive king, Mare sets out to find and recruit other Red-and-Silver fighters to join in the struggle against her oppressors.

But Mare finds herself on a deadly path, at risk of becoming exactly the kind of monster she is trying to defeat.

Will she shatter under the weight of the lives that are the cost of rebellion? Or have treachery and betrayal hardened her forever? [ synopsis from goodreads ]

I didn't think it was possible but I loved this one even more than the first one??? And I can't wait until the next one is out. I'm already upset that it won't be out until next year??? How. Rude. (I'm so impatient.)

So, anyway, I can guarantee that I loved this one so much because there was CAL EVERYWHERE. I'm betting the next one won't be that way??? (In which case, I'm already mourning.) I also really loved the feel of this one with their hideout in the woods.

AND ALL OF THE NEW CHARACTERS. IT WAS SO GLORIOUS. SO MANY NEW PEOPLE FOR ME TO LOVE.

So all of that was a lot of fun. I'm also loving that the setting for this one was a complete turnaround from the first one. I really loved the world that we were dropped into in the first one and I loved everything with Queenstrial. But I think I loved this one more because it expanded on that and we got a look at the rest of the world. (Though I definitely confused a lot of places. A map would've been nice??? I couldn't keep places straight nor figure out to which kingdom some of them belonged??)

Also I would love to see more of the twins in the next one/experience their world firsthand. (I think that might be the direction we're headed for the next one? Or maybe the one after that??)

So this one definitely introduced a lot of new material and places for this to go and that made me really happy. I am definitely loving this series and can't wait for more! Especially after that ending! *grabby hands* *insert Stephen Colbert 'give it to me now' gif here*

Also, the one drawback for this one: THAT ONE DEATH THAT I WILL NEVER BE OVER. YOU KNOW WHICH ONE I'M TALKING ABOUT. I'M STILL UPSET. WHY?!?! And I'm definitely talking about Shade, not Elara. I simultaneously cheered and cackled about Elara. Shade is the one I'll be forevermore sobbing over =//

So yes. I would definitely recommend this one if you enjoyed the first one/are at all invested in the world. Even if you didn't enjoy the first one, this one might be worth a read? I personally liked it better and I think it expanded the story in many, much needed ways. So definitely something to think about if you're considering reading!

review originally posted on goodreads