JK Rowling's Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - J.K. Rowling, Mary GrandPré

It is the middle of the summer, but there is an unseasonal mist pressing against the windowpanes. Harry Potter is waiting nervously in his bedroom at the Dursleys' house in Privet Drive for a visit from Professor Dumbledore himself. One of the last times he saw the Headmaster was in a fierce one-to-one duel with Lord Voldemort, and Harry can't quite believe that Professor Dumbledore will actually appear at the Dursleys' of all places. Why is the Professor coming to visit him now? What is it that cannot wait until Harry returns to Hogwarts in a few weeks' time? Harry's sixth year at Hogwarts has already got off to an unusual start, as the worlds of Muggle and magic start to intertwine... [ synopsis from goodreads ]

Pain. Suffering. Tears. This book certainly has it all??? (I was tempted to tack "it's a triple threat" onto the end there. Everyone's seen Singin' in the Rain, right?)

Well, anyway, after Order of the Phoenix this is probably my second favorite of the series? Or maybe after Chamber of Secrets. Well, it's up there anyway. Despite my multitude of sobs every single time I read the ending.

I just really love the story in this one and how fully Voldemort's past is explored. That was seriously such a dream come true. To give us little indications of what makes Voldemort tick is all I've ever wanted and more. So those were probably my favorite parts of this one.

And this one has most of my favorite quotes. Such as these gems:
"There's no need to call me 'sir', Professor."
"Dumbledore's man through and through."
"It is the unknown we fear when we look upon death and darkness, nothing more."
"I am not worried, Harry. I am with you."

Oh, and, of course Weasley's Wizard Wheezes and all the fun that came with that. Such as Roonil Wazlib. *attempts to stifle laughter* *fails miserably*

Also Ron on love potion is my favorite Ron. And Harry on Felix is my favorite Harry.

Oh and do you think JK just sits there cackling to herself when she throws in things that will be VERY IMPORTANT later but doesn't make them seem at all important now? Like the diadem. Because I think she sat there cackling to herself for a hot minute. I really do. (I also cackled. That was great.)

Okay I'll shut up now and go start Deathly Hallows. For which I'm never, ever ready. Though glad that this reread is so nicely coinciding with the release of the new one. Well done, self. Well done.

review originally posted on goodreads