James Dashner's The Maze Runner

The Maze Runner - James Dashner

If you ain’t scared, you ain’t human.

When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his name. He’s surrounded by strangers—boys whose memories are also gone.

Nice to meet ya, shank. Welcome to the Glade.

Outside the towering stone walls that surround the Glade is a limitless, ever-changing maze. It’s the only way out—and no one’s ever made it through alive.

Everything is going to change.

Then a girl arrives. The first girl ever. And the message she delivers is terrifying.

Remember. Survive. Run.
[ synopsis from goodreads ]

Wow. I don't even know where to begin with this one. So I'd heard a lot about it before I started. I'd heard both good and bad. Some people really, really hated it and others really loved it. So I honestly didn't know what to expect?? I thought I'd fall somewhere in the middle? But I ended up being one of the ones who really loved it! I was so intrigued with it and it really ended up drawing me in.

So when I first started it, I was really busy and the beginning of the book is, um, a little disorienting?? It throws a lot at you and basically explains nothing. So I read turtle slow for the first fifty or so pages until I was no longer busy. Then I really sat down and started reading. That's when I was hooked and there was no going back.

I loved how this book ended and how it answerwed a lot of questions but left you with a whole bunch of new questions. It really made me want to immediately start the second book and continue on. And I think that's really what makes a series good? If it draws you in and doesn't let up until you've read all the books and know exactly how things end.

That being said, that's exactly what I'll be doing. I'll probably plant myself somewhere and not move until this series is finished.

I think what made me love it so much beyond the interesting story is that I really ended up loving so many of the characters. In stories like this, that doesn't usually happen. I usually find one or two that I really, really love and that keep me going through the books. They're usually the ones that keep me motivated to want to see how the story ends for them, not for everyone. With this one, it was the complete opposite. There was only a hand full of characters I didn't like [(view spoiler)].

So while I don't yet know how I'm going to feel about this series as a whole, I can say here that if the rest of this series is anything like this book, it is probably going to be one of my new favorites. That was honestly something I wasn't expecting when I started this one. I really didn't think I was going to love it this much.

I guess my best advice would be to go into this book without expectations and decide for yourself. Because I know I heard from only a handful of people who read this book and there were such mixed emotions that I really didn't know what to expect. And because of that, it didn't end up influencing me as much? And maybe that's why I ended up loving it so much?

Well, who knows. I did love it and that's all that matters. So I can't wait to read on and see what else is in store in this series!

review originally posted on goodreads