Maureen Driscoll's Never a Mistress, No Longer a Maid

Never a Mistress, No Longer a Maid - Maureen Driscoll

Caught behind enemy lines at the Battle of Waterloo, nurse Jane Wetherby is forced to seek shelter with British operative Lord Edward Kellington. After a night of passion, the two are separated. With nothing but the alias Jane used to protect her family, Lord Edward is unable to find the woman he cannot forget.

Seven years later, Jane courts scandal by serving as the unofficial surgeon in the village of Marston Vale. When Edward arrives to formalize his betrothal to a viscount's daughter in accordance with his late father's wishes, Jane has no choice but to watch the match proceed. When a threat from the past emerges, Jane must join forces with Edward to safeguard her loved ones. But at what risk to her heart?
[ synopsis from goodreads ]

I typically, am not one to read romance novels since I usually find them to be, well, not up to the literary standards I typically enjoy. (*tried so hard to say that nicely*) But since subscribing to BookBub and discovering I have absolutely no self control whatsoever when it comes to downloading free books, I have found myself reading romance novels more and more. They are especially good for when school is in and I want to read but have little time or energy to focus on the plot heavy, classic tomes I usually enjoy. (Please see: me trying to read the entire Lord of the Rings novels in one semester.)

So, this was yet another book I got free through BookBub and another one that I actually ended up reading (those are becoming far more frequent, haha). And, honestly, this was another one I enjoyed!

If you're looking for an actual historically accurate historical romance, this is not the place for you. The history part begins and ends with mentioning battle and Belgium and that's it. But if you're looking for an overall nifty story, this one is for you.

So for the first time in my romance reading career, I wasn't actually all that fond of the main characters. Or their story. I loved aaaaaall the secondary characters. Which is why, also for the first time ever, I'm considering reading the rest of this series. I'm not saying that I didn't like Jane or Ned. I just was far more invested in the lives of Ned's family.

I'm so here for that solo Lizzie book because, wow, Lizzie was my absolute favorite. She was spirited and broke out of traditional roles and, boy, did I love her. And literally all of Ned's brothers. The real story I'm interested in is their childhood and their parents and their past.

So, that being said. This book was actually pretty good but I think I might end up liking other books in this series better than this one. But, overall, for a historical romance, it definitely kept me entertained and reading and that's exactly what I was looking for. So if that's what you're looking for too, then I definitely recommend.

review originally posted on goodreads