Jeanne DuPrau's The City of Ember

The City of Ember - Jeanne DuPrau

The city of Ember was built as a last refuge for the human race. Two hundred years later, the great lamps that light the city are beginning to flicker. When Lina finds part of an ancient message, she’s sure it holds a secret that will save the city. She and her friend Doon must decipher the message before the lights go out on Ember forever! This stunning debut novel offers refreshingly clear writing and fascinating, original characters. [ synopsis from goodreads ]

I had a really, really hard time figuring out how I felt about this book. Because it wasn't by any means bad. I think I just wasn't at all the target audience for it. If I'd read this book in middle school or probably even high school, I would've LOVED it.

But reading it now, I felt a little too old for it. And I think all of the other YA dystopian novels I've read had something to do with it. Because there are so many good ones out there that they overshadowed this one. They have felt more like they're written for both the younger crowd and for adults. But I didn't really get that feeling from this one??

So this was by no means a bad book. I just didn't enjoy it as much as I would've if I'd been younger. There were many things in it that I did enjoy and it was a quick and very easy read. And I am curious about the rest of the series but I'm not yet sure that I'll be reading them.

Overall, I think this is a book I would recommend to kids and maybe leave it at that. Because my whole book club read this book and I think we all pretty much felt the same about it? It was good for one time but I probably won't be revisiting it. Especially when there are other dystopian novels lying around that feel a little more enjoyable for adults and feeling less like being an adult reading a kid's book =/

review originally posted on goodreads