Maggie Stiefvater's The Dream Thieves

The Dream Thieves - Maggie Stiefvater

If you could steal things from dreams, what would you take?

Ronan Lynch has secrets. Some he keeps from others. Some he keeps from himself.

One secret: Ronan can bring things out of his dreams.

And sometimes he's not the only one who wants those things.

Ronan is one of the raven boys—a group of friends, practically brothers, searching for a dead king named Glendower, who they think is hidden somewhere in the hills by their elite private school, Aglionby Academy. The path to Glendower has long lived as an undercurrent beneath town. But now, like Ronan's secrets, it is beginning to rise to the surface—changing everything in its wake.

Of The Raven Boys, Entertainment Weekly wrote, "Maggie Stiefvater's can't-put-it-down paranormal adventure will leave you clamoring for book two." Now the second book is here, with the same wild imagination, dark romance, and heart-stopping twists that only Maggie Stiefvater can conjure.
[ synopsis from goodreads ]

So I wasn't going to give this one five stars. I loved it but it didn't captivate me quite as much as the first one. I really love Ronan but of the main five, he's probably my least favorite. So this book being mostly his story? I didn't love it quite as much as the first one.

Until I read the epilogue.

That's when I really and truly loved this book as much as the first one. That's what made me give this one five stars. That epilogue was AMAZING. And because of it, I CANNOT WAIT to read the next one.

But back to the main body of this one. I found it very interesting and I really loved everything about the dreams and Ronan's ability to take things out of dreams. All of that was fascinating to no end. But it was really something Ronan learned about more on his own. And I missed all of the other characters that I've come to love so much. It felt like they weren't in this book as much? And that was probably why I didn't love it quite as much as the first.

I really love their group. I love the way they work together and how we're witnessing their friendships forming. (Or, rather, their friendships with Blue forming and flashbacks of how all the boys met each other, haha.)

So, anyway, I think this was a great addition to the series but, at the same time, I'm really itching to get to the next one and, from what I've heard, I think I'll probably like it more??

I can see where people who really, really love Ronan will LOVE this one. But since I'm not really one of them, that's probably why I didn't connect with this one as much?? I really liked the feeling of the last one where it felt like it was more Blue's story. So that's probably what I'm most anxious to get back to.

And if that epilogue is any indication, great things are coming. And I absolutely CANNOT WAIT.

review originally posted on goodreads