Renée Ahdieh's The Wrath and the Dawn

The Wrath and the Dawn - Renee Ahdieh

One Life to One Dawn.

In a land ruled by a murderous boy-king, each dawn brings heartache to a new family. Khalid, the eighteen-year-old Caliph of Khorasan, is a monster. Each night he takes a new bride only to have a silk cord wrapped around her throat come morning. When sixteen-year-old Shahrzad's dearest friend falls victim to Khalid, Shahrzad vows vengeance and volunteers to be his next bride. Shahrzad is determined not only to stay alive, but to end the caliph's reign of terror once and for all.

Night after night, Shahrzad beguiles Khalid, weaving stories that enchant, ensuring her survival, though she knows each dawn could be her last. But something she never expected begins to happen: Khalid is nothing like what she'd imagined him to be. This monster is a boy with a tormented heart. Incredibly, Shahrzad finds herself falling in love. How is this possible? It's an unforgivable betrayal. Still, Shahrzad has come to understand all is not as it seems in this palace of marble and stone. She resolves to uncover whatever secrets lurk and, despite her love, be ready to take Khalid's life as retribution for the many lives he's stolen. Can their love survive this world of stories and secrets?

Inspired by A Thousand and One Nights, The Wrath and the Dawn is a sumptuous and enthralling read from beginning to end. [ synopsis from goodreads ]

I AM SO IN LOVE WITH THIS BOOK. LIKE SERIOUSLY. I finished it two days ago and I can't stop thinking about it. And wishing that it were longer so I still had more to read. And kicking myself for inhaling it and finishing it so fast. And wishing time would move faster so the next one would be out already. I HAVE LOTS OF PROBLEMS, DO YOU FEEL???

Okay so wow. Where to start. My darling Jenn recommended this book to me. It was seriously everything she said it would be and more. The great characters, the really interesting storyline, THE POETIC WRITING. Everything she said about it was true. Everything she said I would love about it, I did. (For the record, Jenn, I WILL READ LITERALLY ANYTHING YOU TELL ME TO. I TRUST YOU COMPLETELY, ESPECIALLY IF THEY'RE THIS GOOD.)

So wow. I can't even keep my feelings straight. I am basically three sentences away from melting into a puddle of goo. From which my hand would pop out and just slide this book toward you. Because words are seriously failing me. I can't really even express how good this book is???

It has a fascinating plot, amazing characters (and it's really culturally diverse which is both fun and highly unique as of late) and really fantastic writing. I found so many things to love about this book. And I'm really glad I waited to read this until the next one is about to come out. BECAUSE I CANNOT WAIT. I NEED IT NOW *grabby hands*

.... Okay so yes. I know I'm just repeating myself but I HIGHLY recommend this book. It's seriously now one of my favorites. I wanted to read it again the second I finished it. And honestly I plan to reread it very, very soon. Because I already miss these characters and this world and I can't wait to visit them again.

review originally posted on goodreads