Maggie Stiefvater's The Raven King

The Raven King (The Raven Cycle, Book 4) - Maggie Stiefvater

Nothing living is safe. Nothing dead is to be trusted.

For years, Gansey has been on a quest to find a lost king. One by one, he’s drawn others into this quest: Ronan, who steals from dreams; Adam, whose life is no longer his own; Noah, whose life is no longer a lie; and Blue, who loves Gansey… and is certain she is destined to kill him.

Now the endgame has begun. Dreams and nightmares are converging. Love and loss are inseparable. And the quest refuses to be pinned to a path.
[ synopsis from goodreads ]

"He was a book, and he was holding his final pages, and he wanted to get to the end to find out how it went, and he didn't want it to be over."

I can't believe that I found such an accurate description of how I feel about reading and finishing this book IN THIS BOOK. Well played, Maggie Stiefvater. Well played.

So, honestly, where can I even begin with this book?? I bought it when it came out but I left it sitting on my bedside table for a week or two because I couldn't actually bring myself to pick it up. I wanted to read it but I also didn't want this journey to be over.

I came late to this party and I read the other three books that came before this one only a few months ago. And even though I liked not having huge gaps between books, the whole thing also felt more like a whirlwind. Almost like I blinked and it was over. Like I inhaled these books and when I went back to take another breathe, there was none to be had.

So I waited.

I was sick last week and decided the perfect way to combat my inability to sleep was to read this. And even though I have long since recovered, I still put off finishing this book. I would read it in small chunks and then put it down because even though I was enjoyed every minute of it, I didn't want to go too fast. I wanted to savor it. Because I didn't want it to end.

But here I am. Finally at the end. And it has been so completely and totally worth the journey. Although I have seen others who have not felt exactly the same way, I could not tell you a single thing about this book that I didn't love. Everything was perfect. I just wanted more.

I wanted more with these characters. I wanted to experience more of their life with them. I wanted to see how this journey had changed them and how it has affected the rest of their lives. I mean, I know we lived this with them. And I know we have seen so many of their changes and so much of their growth right before our very eyes. But I wanted to live that with them too. I wanted to see the rest of the world through their eyes, not just this adventure.

But I guess that is really and truly the mark of a good book or a good series. When a world is created that you just absolutely don't ever want to leave. When you have grown so close to the characters that they feel like your family or your friends. They're not just characters anymore. They're real. At least to you. And although your time with them is over, you don't want to let them go.

You know those books that you love so deeply and so dearly that they almost become a part of your identity? That's how I feel about this book, this series and these characters. I will never let them go. Because I can't let them go. I have loved them too much.

So this is definitely a series I will be revisiting in the very, very near future. I'm so sorry to see it end but I'm so glad that it exists and that I can relive it time and again.

And this is a series I VERY HIGHLY recommend. If you couldn't tell from everything I have said, I really love this series a lot. And I'm so glad to have found it. And, if you haven't read it already, I pass the mantle on to you. Because books like this should always be read and loved. And I hope you will have that same experience with this one. I mean, how could you not?

review originally posted on goodreads